Change

Changing as I stay the same.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

The face of high-functioning depression

So I struggle with depression. And I’m a therapist.

This whole arrangement is craptastic.
I help people with depression. It’s sort of (not sort of—it really is) my job. As in, people pay me actual money to help them claw their way out of this stuff.  So, it's pretty demoralizing to be grappling with one of the things that I went to school for umpteen years to learn how to treat. It feels shameful. It feels like I’m not supposed to have these kinds of difficulties, because I’m supposed to have this stuff all figured out.
Ha. As if being a therapist somehow makes me immune to human difficulties.  (Spoiler alert, therapists-in-training: You’re still going to be messed up when you’re done with school. Just sayin’.)

So I’m not a superhuman. I can accept that. And my training didn’t save me from this bullshit. I can (mostly) accept that, too. What would be unacceptable to me would be not using the insight I have gained from this bleak period to maybe help someone else. Possibly, by virtue of being trained as a therapist and HIGHLY experienced as a depressed person, I can shed some light on the subject for y’all. Here goes:
Depression isn’t all sadness and crying and moping and couch potato-ing, even your mental image of “depression” might look sort of like that.  True, sometimes depression looks like this:

But sometimes, it looks like this:


I hope you guys like my face in that top one. Also, my hair.
(Long story. Actually short story: the Mai Tais did it.)


Yeah! That cheerful, silly face is the face of depression, kids! These pictures were taken at the height of my misery. Many of us who are depressed are quite good at masking it. Especially those of us who have high-functioning depression.

What’s high-functioning depression? It’s the kind of depression that isn’t completely disabling—which means I can work and parent and play volleyball and other life things— but the tasks often feel harder, sometimes take longer, and they wear me out more than usual. I've had bouts of this stuff since college-- it comes and goes in waves, some keeping me underwater longer than others. The current wave has had a wicked undertow. 

For me being depressed is a lot about heaviness. Everyday tasks can seem impossible. For example, I’m someone who feels at home in the kitchen. Baked goods= love, in my book. In September, I had a friend who had a baby, and what better way to say “I’m happy for you” than chocolate revel bars?



These things are delicious. I’ve made them a million times before. Yet, making them this time was so hard. The reaching down into a lower cupboard for the mixing bowls, the measurement of dry goods, the having to go to the basement pantry to retrieve a bag of chocolate chips…every step took monumental effort. And this is so not me. On a non-depressed Saturday afternoon at home, I can bake two or three things, and maybe also rearrange the Tupperware cabinet and do some gardening and go on a 3-mile walk, and then whip up supper, and it’s no big deal. I like being energetic. I like getting things done. So this feeling that my body is perpetually moving through water? No Bueno. 

Even worse than the heaviness, though, is the thought parade….oh, the thought parade. If you’ve ever had depression, you know what I’m talking about. This is a rather soul-sucking phenomenon: when my brain decides to say really cruel things to me in a really convincing way. It’s like having Cersei Lannister living in my head. After that, my brain takes me down the Memory Lane of Failure. (With my clients, I call this part The Shitshow.) A sampling of Cersei + The Shitshow: You’re worthless. You’re never going to get your life together. You fail at everything you do. And the worst one, the absolute nail in the coffin: You are a terrible mother. And then I relive all of the moments that I have failed, all the ways I don’t have my life together, and all of the times I was a less-than-stellar parent. This is the part that makes me want to stay in bed and stare at the wall for hours at a time.

Art by Claire Jarvis
Here’s a weird thing I’ve noticed about me and depression, though— I’m a pendulum swinger. And what I mean by this is: depression will say to me you’re worthless and everyone hates you. And, in trying to shake this off, I’ll seek out my friends. Put on some pretty clothes and red lipstick, plaster on my most winning smile, and gravitate to wherever the fun is happening. Swing the pendulum. Try to find evidence that I am indeed worthwhile and that people don’t hate having me around. Also, alcohol provides a temporary reprieve from the crippling Cersei thoughts. And then they come back, ten-fold, the next day—because that’s how alcohol works. It depresses you the next day. #themoreyouknow  #friendlyneighborhoodpsychologist

Now, let me issue the caveat that I enjoy going out with friends when not depressed. That’s just me—I like people, and I like laughing—and, for the record, I like singing and dancing and not taking life very seriously sometimes. But when depressed, these times out of the house feel like lifelines in a way that they probably shouldn’t.  

Because of my pendulum-swinging means of trying to cope, it isn’t always obvious to myself (and others) that I even am depressed. That’s the thing: depression can be a sneaky, insidious little beast. It comes for me in camouflage, lays in wait, sniping, throwing grenades—full on guerrilla warfare—and I can’t see it until it’s bad.

It doesn’t help that I’m pretty good at denial and avoidance, i.e., “I’m not depressed, nosiree, I just suddenly hate myself and feel like my life is going down the shitter.” I either couldn’t or wouldn’t look at the evidence: I sucked way more than usual at making decisions—and this is bad, because I always suck at decisions. I hated all of the music that I usually love. Food sounded gross and made my stomach hurt, so I didn’t eat much. I couldn’t fall asleep at night. (Very uncharacteristic. I usually sleep like a boss.) If a client reported these experiences to me, I’d know right away what was going on. But despite the astounding, staggering amount of evidence of depression, I couldn’t see it. Its camouflage was too good, too complete. It blended in with the colors of my life, and I just assumed that the lies of depression were true. (i.e., I really was a terrible person, and people really did hate me, etc.).

Here's the thought that blew my depression’s cover:

“Wouldn’t it be easier on everyone if you weren’t here?”


Whoa. I’d never had that kind of thought before. 

Thankfully, I stopped and self-reflected. For one blessed moment, my internal voice had my back, and she said, “Hold up, sister. What did you just say to yourself?

Then I knew what was going on. And to therapy I went and to the doctor I went and to the gym I went. Yep, the gym. Because honestly, I’ve never found anything as effective for my own personal mood management as good old fashioned gym torment. 

I’m slowly getting better. I wish recovery was as easy as a few grueling hours at the YMCA or a few weeks of therapy or a few months’ worth of pills. It’s not, though. Healing from depression is like slogging through a field of deep mud. One foot held up and striving forward, one foot sinking down into the goo. Repeat, repeat, repeat. 

So I cope. I read a lot. I do the gym thing. I go on walks. I watch The Office and The West Wing, two shows that comfort me. I attempt to be emotionally present with friends and family. I try to remember that the Cersei Shitshow thought parade isn’t the truth, even though it feels like The Truth when it’s happening, but rather, that these thoughts are depression being a little bitch.

And I write like I need it to survive. This too is a coping skill. When I write I attempt to understand myself, to be understood by others. It’s mightily gratifying to have some thoughts out of my head and on paper instead of rattling around on the inside. If I get to make myself or someone else laugh, that’s a bonus.

I want y'all to know: I’ll get through this. I already am. And I always have. 

I’ll keep putting one muddy foot in front of the other until the ground underneath me dries up again. And it will. It always has. 

And for my functionally depressed comrades-in-arms out there: I’m with you. I’m here for you. We’re all gonna make it. Take care of yourselves, do all the things that help, and the ground will dry. Just you wait. 

***

Author's note: Suicidal thoughts are serious and should be treated as such. If you're having thoughts of ending your life, get yourself to help. Call a parent. Text a friend. 
Call this hotline: 1--800-273-8255. Go to this website: The Hopeline.
Find a therapist. 

You matter. Trust me. 

4 comments:

  1. the shitshow- yes been there. Satan's favorite way of attacking me. That and the horror cycle of things that could happen haunts me, too. Prayer is my go to but maybe I need to add the gym, too. Thanks for laying it all out there Allison. I'm so thankful you do what you do because you can and are helping people and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vulnerability and openness helps us all feel so much more normal. Thank you brave warrior for being willing to lend voice to the struggle, and light to the coping strategies. You continue to amaze the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and brave. Sending so much good energy. Thank you for being you. Love, Manijeh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, yours is the voice in my head. Thanks for succinctly putting into words what happens on a very internal level. Depression is one sneaky little bitch, and it is difficult to explain by many people. It undermines a good person's worthwhile efforts with self-doubt and self-pity, and not taking action is dangerous. Way too often we are shamed by it and despise ourselves for it. But depression is much like catching a virus, it just happens. Took me a while to fully realize I have a right to be here, and my life & mental health are worthy of defending as best I can. Did the meds and the counseling thing and learned ways to fight back with. It's an ongoing battle, but certainly worth it.

    ReplyDelete