Change

Changing as I stay the same.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Sandwiches

….and today, a vast departure from the blog norm.

I’ve been doing creative writing in my spare time. I tell people that I’m doing this, but I hesitate to share much of anything. It feels a little too personal. Which is messed up, if you think about it—I’ll tell humiliating real-life stories about fruit fly infestations and mice in my kitchen, etc., but I won’t share stuff that I made up? Weird.

In an effort to battle my own hypocrisy, here’s something from the creative writing realm.

This is written from the perspective of someone who has lost someone dear to them.

Sandwiches

You kept finishing my sandwiches
Even though I’d intended to finish them myself
And the fact that this didn’t anger me, but rather, made me smile
Was how I knew I liked you
You and your quick wit
The only wit that has ever kept up with mine
You and your pure heart
Which you said had been broken and then healed
You said it was looking for home
And found it in me, accidentally
That was when I knew I loved you

The last time I saw you
You couldn’t look me in the eye
You didn’t even look at my face
Would it have been like looking at the sun?
Or would it have been like looking at a ghost
At the specter of the life we almost had
No matter, really

Nothing changes
The leaves have fallen
They are strewn about the top of our gilded table
And it’s cold and dreary
The little black bugs are dead now
Unable to hurt us anymore
Miraculously the world still spins
But nothing changes

I dreamt last night that you were there
I was sitting on a picnic table under a tree
Waiting for you
And you rode up on a horse
But then I knew I was dreaming
Because you’re afraid of horses
Like me

You’re gone now
An ocean away, more than that
But the memory of you
The last time you looked at me
Really looked at me
You were walking away, but you turned back
The sun lit your face
And you smiled
A heartbreaking smile
It was for me then
And it’s still mine now
I get to keep it
I get to carefully wrap your bittersweet smile in soft blankets
And hold it gently
I’ll tuck it away
In the safest corner of my heart

I hope that you’re well
No, I hope that you’re whole
Wherever you are, wherever you go
I hope you find home

As for me, I’m finishing my own sandwiches now

No comments:

Post a Comment