Change

Changing as I stay the same.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Breaking the rules

I broke one of my own rules for being a therapist today.

I cried.

You wouldn’t know it from watching how “therapy” is done on TV, but therapists have a lot of rules to follow. Some of them are set for us by ethical codes of our profession—things like “keep client information private and protected” (duh) and “don’t have sex with clients” (double duh).

And then, most therapists have these other rules that we place upon ourselves, things that have less to do with the general ethical codes and more to do with our own personalities, preferences, and theories of how we help people.

“No crying” isn’t a hard and fast rule for therapists. In fact, it’s subject to some debate within our field. I poignantly remember getting close to tears once with one of my very first clients. Because I was still in training at the time, I brought it up with my peers and supervisors. Through discussion, I came to more fully appreciate a powerful truth: that therapy is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. I learned that probably each of us would handle this in our own way, and that this was okay, because we each have our own unique personalities and ways of helping people. And that day I set my own personal standard on crying in session.

But today, I deviated from my personal standard and cried. I will usually let myself get to “misty eyes,” and that’s my cutoff. That’s where I internally say to myself “Alright, this isn’t about you” and tuck in the tears. Today I couldn’t. My eyes filled up and a couple of tears spilled over. I wasn’t sobbing or totally losing my shit in any way. Yet it was definitely crying, and I know my client saw.

I like to think that I chose that no-crying standard for benevolent reasons—to benefit and protect the client. I want to prevent therapeutic interactions from becoming “the Allison show”—that is, the heart of therapy should be the client’s experiences, not mine. In order to really be effective, I need for clients to know and believe that I’m hanging in there with them, no matter what they’re talking about and what pain they are expressing. I fear that if they see me cry, they might start to think they are hurting me and start holding back on me. This is the last thing that I want, as people are often already holding back a lot in their lives outside of therapy, in order to protect themselves and others.

Yet, as with so many things in life, there is another way to look at this. And this other perspective could make me out to be a hypocrite (again, damnit!).  In my point of view, crying is simply an expression of sadness. I also believe that letting others see our emotions is a genuine and hence courageous thing to do -- showing others who we are and what moves us is one thing that helps us others feel connected to us. (I say these things to people all the time! All. The. Time.) So, in showing clients that I’m moved by what they have said, am I possibly modeling an appropriate expression of emotion and maybe even aiding our connection?

*big gulp, tiny voice* And, is it also possible that the real reason that I don't let myself cry in front of clients is because I dislike others, client or not, seeing my vulnerability? (Damnit.)

IDK, being a therapist and making therapisty decisions is hard.

What I do know is that my emotional control in therapy has been tested lately. I've heard some of the saddest stories that I've ever heard; often situations that are very personally relatable. And while I do work hard to keep my own personal baggage out of the therapeutic interaction, at the end of the day I'm still human. The things that people say, that I witness through listening to client's stories with my heart and playing those stories through in my mind-- they affect me. Some stories are told with such immediacy and detail that the hardest thing in the world would be to not see it through my client's eyes. Sometimes the pain in the room is so palpable that it steals my breath, like I’ve been socked in the gut.

To be both naturally imaginative and empathic is a blessing-- these attributes make me who I am, and they are the backbone of my work as a therapist. Yet these very same attributes are the ones that keep me up at night and that allow me to imagine terrible things happening to me and those that I love-- and they're the personal characteristics that are making me cry in session! Stupid paradoxes everywhere!

Anyway, yes, the tears have been happening and I think they’re likely to keep on happening. Sometimes they will behave themselves and stay in my eyes, and other times they may go rogue on me and escape. As you can probably tell from the rest of this post, I’m still not 100% sure how I feel about this level of personal sadness being out in the open for clients to see. I'm well aware that there is processing that I can and will do with clients if I cry, and that this can give me a sense of where to go from there. I'm just still not sure I should be letting it happen in the first place.

Instead of the nice tidy resolution that I seem to go for in these posts, today I’m going to have to leave stuff hanging. I’m still working on figuring this whole thing out. Maybe I’ll stick with my old no-crying rule. Maybe I’ll come up with a new rule. I'm just going to roll with the ambiguity of it all today, and find solace in knowing that I’m working on understanding.  Life’s messy, folks.

And in the spirit of dialogue and progress, I’d like to end this post with a question: If you were (or are) a client in therapy, what would it be like for you if your therapist was so moved by something you said that s/he cried?

4 comments:

  1. You are such a good writer Allison! I can absolutely identify with this as a therapist. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts about this. As a client, I imagine that I would feel very connected to my therapist if they cried and it would give me a sense of permission to feel however I felt about what I was sharing. If I didn't trust my therapist, or felt they were incompetent, or not emotionally stable-yes, I think I would be freaked out if they cried in front of me! However, I would never see a therapist that fit those descriptions, nor do I think YOU are or could be perceived as any of those things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Chelsi! Whew-- it's hard to have this kind of thing out there in cyberspace, in a lot of ways-- but it's good for me to practice being vulnerable, and to admit that I rarely have my shit all together. :) So, thank you for giving me some validation and your perspective on the crying issue.

      Delete
  2. I don't think that it is such a bad thing. It's not like you're crying in every session or letting the tears fall for every sad thing you hear (and I honestly can't imagine the kind of stuff that you hear). But while letting a few tears out does show empathy, I'm sure you are able to empathize in other ways as well. Of course I have basically zero experience in either side of therapy but my gut feeling is that I'd be ok if my therapist cried as long as they were able to pull themselves back together and refocus on working on the issue I was there for. I would guess that it is probably client-dependent as well--perhaps some people need/want to see that being vulnerable is ok in order to be vulnerable themselves while others may need some other kind of motivation. Either way, I think your original rule is good, but we all know that some circumstances call for breaking the rules and it isn't always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dr. Jenniges-- I appreciate your perspective on the matter, especially since it's input from outside of the psych. field. Sometimes I spend so much time talking with other mental health professionals about clinical stuff that I wonder if I'm losing sight of the "bigger picture" of it all-- hence, why I'd even want to do a blog post like this at all. I agree that even the most well-intended rules sometimes get bent or broken-- hopefully for good reasons. You also make a good point that a few tears escaping is different from totally losing it-- like so broken down that I'm not doing my job and the focus of session inevitably becomes, "what the hell is going on with Allison." I can honestly say that that's never happened, and I can't see it happening. In any case, I've got more thinking and reflecting to do, yet I found the writing of this post and some discourse with others to be very helpful thus far. Thanks for playing a part in it!

      Delete